Monday, May 19, 2014

brand new minds

I haven't had a chance to sit down at my laptop in a while! I finished high school last week and I've enjoyed having some time to reflect on my life so far. Most people see the end of high school as starting an uncertain phase in their lives where they have no clue what to do next. I don't consider myself to be in that position mostly because I know that God will make it very clear to me what he wants me to do with my life. Late last night I took a walk and I was thinking over some things and the verse "be transformed by the renewing of your mind" popped up in my head again. That verse is something I've been reading over recently and last night the Lord gave me some insight through that verse. It's found in Romans 12:1-2. Paul starts off by saying "I urge you brothers and sisters in view of God's mercy to offer your bodies as living sacrifices." We hear that we should be living sacrifices all the time but what stuck out to me was "in view of God's mercy." In thinking over how merciful he is to us and how his mercies are new every single morning...because of THAT it's our privilege to sacrifice our own plans for His. The fact that if we call on Him and pray for forgiveness he graciously casts our sin as far as the east is from the west! Shouldn't we desire to offer ourselves to Him after all that he does for us even after we disgrace His name daily? I remember a verse in a hymn that says, "Behold the Man upon the cross, My sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers." How many times has my voice mocked God by how I have chosen to disobey Him and grieve Him by my actions? Too many times to count. In view of His MERCY on us. A mercy that we should never have the opportunity to experience...in view of THAT we offer our lives as living sacrifices. Once we're dead we can't offer anything as a sacrifice. While we're still living we have the opportunity to sacrifice all that we have for His purpose.
        Then Paul says "THIS is your TRUE and proper worship." So true worship isn't a guitar and a contemporary worship song? Paul says sacrificing your whole body...my mind, my strength, my hands, my feet...this is what it means to truly worship the God that knit you together in your mother's womb. Something else that stuck out to me is that it says "this is YOUR true and proper worship." How many times do we rely on another person's form of worship or their relationship with Christ? I can't take credit for Billy Graham's acts of worship. When I stand before the living God when I die, the ONLY things I can give an account for are the things I myself did for Him alone. I can't say "Oh well my mom took me to church. That was sacrificing wasn't it?" We each are accountable for our own lives honoring or dishonoring God.
     In verse 2 Paul says, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed BY THE RENEWING OF YOUR MIND." I've heard this verse so many times but last night I was thinking over those words again and again. "by the renewing of my mind." We become more like Christ not by the changing of our minds...by the RENEWING. To make something new again. Our minds are made completely new through Christ. It's bigger than just a change..it's a completely new mindset. Brand new! It doesn't even resemble what our old minds used to be! It's a total transformation! Wow. Just let that sink in.
      The next thing that really struck me was Paul saying, "THEN you will be able to TEST and approve what God's will is." So AFTER our minds have been made new, NOW we can TEST God's will? I can test God's will? What?! I was really thinking over this last night and this morning and I was thinking how do I test the Lord's will? If my mind is renewed daily by His word and fellowship with Him then I will be seeking His will and praying for His will in my life. Psalm 25:14 says, "The Lord confides in those who fear Him; He makes His covenant KNOWN to them." The Lord shares secret things with those who fear Him? AND he makes them certain of his promises? That's a lot to wrap my mind around. God absolutely reveals His will to those who have thrown off everything that hinders them and have filled their minds with what pleases Him. The idea of testing is a continual thing. I haven't just taken one test in my life. The Lord has a plan for every aspect of my life so through prayer I'm asking, seeking, and testing what His will is. As I've experienced already, the Lord will make it very clear what isn't His will. He has slammed doors right in my face and now  I fall on my knees before Him in thanksgiving for His protection in those situations by telling me no.
      The final piece of Romans 12:2 says, "His good, pleasing, and perfect will." Can you imagine God telling you when you stand before Him, "You followed my perfect will for your life! Your life on earth was so pleasing to me!" I don't even have words to respond to that. He has a perfect plan for all of our lives!! PERFECT! Seamless! Without flaw! A different perfect plan for you than for me. Wow! Talk about His mercy!! Those things have been the focus of my quiet time with the Lord lately and I thought I'd share them with you. Be encouraged, friend! I always tell my mom when she's stressed, "The Lord could come back in 10 mins so what does this problem matter?" Talk to you soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment