Thursday, May 1, 2014

how extreme is too extreme?

The idea of  "too extreme" isn't something that people have the guts to verbally express to me in conversation but their faces reveal it all. Very few people haven't given me the "you really believe that?!" look at least once. My question to the believers reading this is, where does the lasting reward come from toning it down? Where does the "well done good and faithful servant" come in after living a life that always followed the crowd? I can only speak for myself but my passion for the gospel began in the times where I sat alone with my Bible, put the commentary aside, and just read what it said. I don't want to know anyone's interpretation of the Bible...I want the powerful and convicting words found in those pages to speak for themselves. Maybe you have felt the same way at some point. A thought that always crosses my mind is this- if I was still a lost person today, would anyone go even a little bit out of their way to show me the truth? Think about it. There is a church on every corner here...has anyone ever come up to you and asked you if you knew about Jesus? No one has ever asked me if I knew about Jesus outside of the church walls. That's devastating because we claim to not only know this truth but also base our whole life on this truth that could save people. I was talking with my dad about this the other day. I explained to him that the reason I'm willing to go out of my way for people is because I believe that anyone that's breathing is worth it and should at least be given the opportunity to hear the gospel. Isn't going out of "our way" the whole point of being a disciple? I know you're probably thinking, "that's right! everyone is valuable! I agree!" It's easy to agree in our thoughts but are our actions lining up? What about the people that can do nothing for us? How are we treating them? In fact, let's go so far as to say that associating with these people will hurt our reputations. What then? Read about the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31. The rich man is in hell and he knows there's nothing he can do but he begs, "Send Lazarus to warn my five brothers so that they won't come to this place of torment!" Can I tell you that as Christians we are those people sent to warn. That's something we can't take lightly! 2 Corinthians 5:20 says, "We are Christ's ambassadors as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: be reconciled to God." Appeal= an earnest request or plea. God is pleading to a lost world through us. I wonder if the roles were reversed and let's say I switched lives with an atheist...how much worth would a Christian see in me to tell me about eternity? Would anyone bother at all to invest in me in hopes of seeing me around the throne forever? I think about the rich man begging to have Lazarus warn his brothers and then I read the names I've written down of the lost people I know. What am I willing to do for these people to be able to see them in heaven forever?  How extreme is too extreme?

No comments:

Post a Comment